Dangers of Lead Paint Poisoning
Lead poisoning is an incredibly dangerous illness that can have multiple devastating effects on its victims. One of the primary methods through which individuals get lead poisoning is by ingesting or inhabiting areas near lead-based paint. Despite the fact that the Consumer Product Safety Commission banned the use of lead-based paint in homes and children’s toys back in 1977, and the EPA has required home renovators to obtain certification when working in houses with a certain amount of lead paint since 2010, far too many individuals are still subjected to the dangers of lead-based paint.
Lead poisoning appears when there is a build-up of the chemical in the body. It only needs a few months to begin causing permanent damage, and will worsen over longer periods of contact. Children are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning, as it affects the nervous system and can cause extensive damage during the developmental process. Additionally, lead-based paint chips and dust taste sweet, and this in turn tempts children to put them in their mouths.
Symptoms of Lead Poisoning
Lead poisoning creates lasting issues that damage a number of the body’s systems. Even more frightening is the fact that, while it only takes a little bit of lead to cause poisoning, it may take a while for symptoms to manifest. A few of the most common signs of lead poisoning in adults are:
- High blood pressure
- Abdominal pain
- Memory loss
- Mood fluctuations
- Reduced sperm count
- Miscarriage or premature birth
In addition to the damage lead poisoning can cause in adults, parents must also watch for signs of it in children. Some common symptoms are:
- Developmental delays
- Learning difficulties
- Loss of appetite
- Hearing loss
Each and every symptom of lead poisoning is undesirable, and many of them are horrendous. While there are some treatments available, severe cases of lead poisoning may result in permanent damage.